Ketchikan Area Arts and Humanities Council presents
The 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival August 6-8, 2021
Congratulations to Cameo McRoberts the winner of the 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival Logo Design Contest!!!!!
The Blueberry Arts Festival is back and better than ever!!!
The 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival will happen this year!!!!! YAY!!! Save the dates on your calendar! August 6-8th, 2021!!! We will use this page to share up-to-the-minute updates! Please stay tuned!!! It is a different year and this year the 3-day festival will be different. Each event has been altered slightly to make the Blueberry Arts Festival as COVID safe as possible, all Booths and events have moved outside,to the Streets of Downtown Ketchikan. We will not be in the State Building Parking Lot or at the Methodist Church. Downtown streets will be blocked off for pedestrian traffic on Blueberry Saturday, Saturday, Aug 7th between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm to accommodate Saturday’s Events. Road closures include Main Street, from Pioneer Ally to Mill Street, and both Mission Street and Dock Street from Front Street to Bawden Street. See the schedule of events below for more details.
- Now - August 6th - Practice, practice, practice your Best Blueberry Dish!!!
- Now - August 7th - Get fit and get ready for the Ketchikan Running Club's Blueberry Fun Run
- Now - August 7th - Grow that facial hair!!!
- Now - August 8th - Design and Build that Handmade Human Powered Boat!!!
- Now - August 8th - Get Your K-Town Ghost Stories ready for the 30th Annual Richard Brautigan, Dick Whittaker, and Lillian Ference Memorial Trout Fishing in America Poetry Slam!!!
Friday, August 6th Events –
· 2:00 pm - The Blueberry Arts Festival weekend starts with the cutest parade in town! The Pet, Doll, and MASK Parade! This year masks will be included in the parade regalia! The Pet, Doll, and MASK Parade!
· 3:00 pm - Deadline for the Best Blueberry Dish Contest! Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place. Dishes can be savory or sweet, but must be an original recipe and contain BLUEBERRIES!!!!! The winning recipe will be featured at the New York Café in the month of August!
· 5:00 - 7:00 pm - 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival Art Exhibit opening reception at the Main Street Gallery! A judged, open call exhibit displaying an eclectic mix of artwork submitted by the community! Prizes awarded for adult first, second, and third, young adult first, youth first, honorable mention, and the fabulous peoples’ choice.
Saturday, August 7th Events-
· 9:30 am - Blueberry Fun Runs – Ketchikan Running Club with new Corporate sponsor Peace Health Ketchikan will have brand new routes, plus medals and t-shirts for all participants! Adults 5k, and 10k! Register NOW!!!
· 10:00 - 5:00 pm - 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival Booths are open for Business!!! Art, Food, Community Organizations, and Political Booths will fill Main Street, Mission Street, and Dock Street!
· 10:00 – 5:00 pm - FREE Blueberry Vaccine and Health Clinic, in partnership with the Ketchikan Public Health Clinic at the St John’s Episcopal Church parking lot. The Pfizer, Moderna, and the Johnson and Johnson Vaccines will be available. First shot or second shot! Each inoculated person will receive a $100 gift card to a local business, and be entered to win hourly prizes, and be entered to win a $2000 grand prize! Walk-in or schedule in advance. Hourly prizes will be drawn during COV-Aid on the Mainstage. Are you already vaccinated? Enter your name into the pot for the grand prize at the end of the day of $2000!! Must show proof of vaccine to enter the drawing. The sponsor of the Blueberry Vaccine and Health Clinic is The Greater Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce
· 10:00 – 5:00 pm - COV-Aid on the Mainstage! at the Café Market. Host Diane Slagle will introduce a variety of local talents featuring the musicians of Ketchikan for this fundraising event to help local Ketchikan small businesses who have been hard hit by COVID-19. Hourly cash drawings will be held for the folks who participated in the Blueberry Vaccine Clinic. Plus a grand prize drawing of $2000 at the end of the day, open to all vaccinated people. Must show proof of vaccine to enter the drawing. The sponsor of the Mainstage is KPU! The sponsor of COV-Aid is the Greater Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce
· 2:00 pm - Blueberry Beard and Moustache Contest Contestants will display their examples of Pogonotrophy from the Mainstage. Three prizes will be awarded Wild Wo/Man, Most Artistic, and People’s Choice!
· 6:00 – 8:00 pm CHARR Beer Garden at the Lumberjack Arena $20 at the door. Must be 21 or over. All proceeds will benefit the Ketchikan CHARR Educational Fund for local students.
Sunday, August 8th, Events -
· 1:30 - 2:30 pm – 6th Annual Handmade Human Powered Blueberry Boat Race – Float 6 -Thomas Basin. Registration starts at 1:30, race starts at 2:00 pm. All participating boats must be handmade and human-powered. Prizes awarded for fastest adult, fastest youth, most artistic, and most likely to SINK. Does your vessel have what it takes? The sponsor of the Human Powered Boat Race is KPU!!!
· 3:30 - 5:00 pm - 30th Annual Richard Brautigan, Dick Whittiker, and Lillian Ference memorial Trout Fishing in America Poetry Slam and K-Town Ghost Stories Somewhere in, outside, or around the New York Cafe! 7 min limit. All are welcome to participate or just sit back and listen. The sponsors of the Richard Brautigan, Dick Whittiker, and Lillian Ference memorial Trout Fishing in America Poetry Slam are the New York Café, Soho Coho, Chinook and Company, and Parnassus Books!!!!
The 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival will kick off on Friday, August 6th, with the Pet, Doll, and MASK Parade at 2:00 pm -the cutest parade in town. Children and their adorned pet, dolls, and MASKS will walk down Main Street to the Ketchikan Fire Department and will receive free stickers from the Ketchikan Public Library. Put your Best Blueberry Dish to the test and submit three servings of your most delicious blueberry concoctions, savory or sweet due to the Main Street Gallery by 3:00 pm sharp for judging. The Festival continues on Friday with the opening reception of the 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival Open Call Art Exhibit at the Main Street Gallery 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Awards will be given to First, Second, and Third place adult, First place young adult, First place youth submissions, and one Honorable Mention. The reception will also include the announcement of the winners of the Best Blueberry Dish Contest.
New this year, the Ketchikan Area Arts and Humanities Council has been working with the City of Ketchikan to move the 130 Art and Food Booths to lower Main Street starting at the Main Street Gallery, and including Mission Street, and Dock Street from Front Street to Bawden Street. Roads will be closed Saturday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm! Starting at 9:00 am the Ketchikan Running Club will hold the annual Blueberry Fun Runs with new routes and lots of swag! Saturday, 10:00 – 5:00 pm. The Blueberry Arts Festival Booths will be open for business. There will be a Blueberry Vaccine and Health Clinic with hourly prizes for people who get vaccines that day and a grand prize at the end of the day for anyone who has been vaccinated for $2000!! There will be COV-Aid on the Mainstage in the Café Market. The Blueberry Beard and Mustache Contest will be held in person on the Mainstage during COV-Aid. CHARR will host a Beer Garden at the Lumber Jack Arena from 6:00 – 8:00 pm $20 at the door, must be 21 years of age.
Sunday the 6th Annual Handmade Human Powered Blueberry Boat Race will be on Float 6, Thomas Basin, Bayside Float (behind the Pink Federal Building) Participants must have their handmade vessels, life jackets, whistles, and gumption on Float 6, to register at 1:30 pm. The race starts at 2:00 pm! Spectators can watch from the red bridge and the boardwalk of the Pink Federal Building. The 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival will conclude on Sunday with the 30th Annual Richard Brautigan, Dick Whittiker, and Lillian Ference memorial Trout Fishing in America Poetry Slam and K-Town Ghost Stories to be held at the New York Café 3:30 – 5:00 pm
The sponsor of the Blueberry Arts Festival is Alaska Airlines
The 46th Annual Blueberry Arts Festival is different than it has ever been and is approaching FAST! The Ketchikan Area Arts and Humanities Council is looking for very special people to help with Hanging Posters and Flyers, Downtown Signage, T-shirt Sales, Clean-Up, and MORE!!! Are you that special person? Please call the Arts Council today. We really need your help!!! Find a friend and make some friends! Please call 225-2211 to sign up!